The Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) campus is located close to Singapore’s Changi Airport on the east side of Singapore. It is situated right above the Upper Changi MRT station (DT34) of the Downtown line (DTL). In Singapore, the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) system is the country’s principal mode of railway transportation.
Here are some recommendations for your hotel stay in Singapore to attend the SmartGridComm 2022 conference:
If you prefer to stay near the conference venue (i.e., SUTD campus):
- The closest hotel (1 - 1.5 KM by foot, or one MRT station away) is the Capri by Fraser Changi City hotel. The closest MRT to Capri by Fraser Changi City hotel is the Expo MRT station (DT35). It is a one-stop (2-minute) MRT ride from the Expo station to the Upper Changi station (SUTD) by the Downtown MRT line. The hotel is located next to the Changi City Point shopping center which provides a lot of dining and shopping options.
Special rate offered by Capri by Fraser Changi City for SmartGridComm conference participants:
Date: 24-28 October 2022
10% off early bird discount
|Room Category||Room Rate||Inclusions|
BEFORE DISCOUNT: SGD$360++ per room per night (Total price after tax: SGD$423.72)
AFTER DISCOUNT: SGD$381.35 per room per night after tax
|With breakfast and wifi|
Terms and conditions:
*10% off Early bird discount is valid until 12 October
*Room is subject to availability
Contact person for hotel booking:
Email with subject title: IEEE SmartGridComm'22 hotel booking
- Two other hotels near the SUTD campus that you can consider are:
- The Crowne Plaza Changi Airport hotel (~500+ SGD / night). You can enjoy easy access to Jewel Changi Airport which is a nature-themed entertainment and retail complex linked directly to Changi Airport. The hotel is a short 10-15 minutes taxi ride to SUTD. If you prefer to take public transport, you can take the East-West MRT line from Changi Airport station and ride one stop to the Expo MRT station, where you can transit to the Downtown MRT line (you don’t need to exit the MRT station when transiting) From the Expo station, it is only one stop to the Upper Changi station to reach SUTD. The total journey time is around 20-25 minutes.
- The Dusit Thani Laguna Singapore hotel (350 - 450 SGD / night) Located approximately 4km away from SUTD campus, it is a 5-star hotel that is a 10 minutes taxi ride to SUTD. However, there is no public transport within walking distance to the hotel.
If you are looking for more choices (e.g., hotels in other price ranges or near Singapore downtown area):
Our recommendation is to find a hotel in Singapore’s downtown area that is within walking distance to some stations on the Downtown MRT line (since SUTD campus is located above the Upper Changi MRT (DT34) Downtown line station). Booking a hotel near a Downtown MRT station is convenient since you do not need to change MRT lines. It takes 25-35 minutes (around 10-15 stations) to travel by MRT from one of the Downtown line stations recommended below to SUTD. Below are some of our recommendations:
- Hotels near Downtown line Fort Canning (DT20) station: Park Hotel Clarke Quay and Riverside Hotel Robertson Quay There are also several other hotels nearby in different price ranges. The hotels are pretty close to the Singapore river and other popular tourist attractions in the downtown area.
- Hotels near Downtown line Bencoolen (DT21) station: V Hotel Bencoolen and Hotel Mi. There are also several other hotels nearby in different price ranges.
- Hotels near the Downtown line Chinatown station (DT19) and Jalan Basar station (DT22). These stations are situated right in the center of the cultural enclaves of Chinatown and Little India. There are plenty of smaller / boutique hotels in these areas.
If you don’t mind taking a taxi or transiting through public buses or across multiple MRT lines:
You can also consider other popular areas to stay in Singapore, such as the Marina Bay area which is home to Singapore’s most distinctive architectural icons, and Singapore’s main shopping belt — Orchard Road or Bugis (which is quite close to Bencoolen). The Marina Bay area is approximately a 20-minute taxi ride away from the SUTD campus while Orchard Road is a 30-minute taxi ride away. If you prefer public transport, you can take a bus or MRT to one of the Downtown MRT line stations before taking the downtown line MRT to SUTD campus.