In the course of the last decades, key investments in power systems have improved remarkably the overall quality of the associated information and communication infrastructure. Emerging wireless connectivity in conjunction with expanded computational resources and the proliferation of effective techniques for knowledge extraction drive a paradigm shift in power system analysis and provide a fertile ground for enhanced monitoring and control capabilities.
This special session targets fundamental/applied research challenges pertaining to the interaction of data-driven machine learning tools with wireless connectivity schemes in smart grid systems. In this context, contributions are expected to introduce novel cross-disciplinary approaches towards high fidelity estimation of state variables and informed system control.
Threads of interest include:
- Robust smart grid connectivity with incomplete data streams, focusing on resilient learning methods able to mitigate phenomena inherent to wireless communication, such as transmission failures, channel distortion, asynchronization and malicious data injection;
- Novel edge computing solutions tailored to smart grid architectures, emphasizing challenges related to scalability, latency, availability, privacy considerations and heterogeneous computation/storage capabilities;
- Physics-informed algorithmic methods and learning frameworks for efficient and scalable computation of smart grid tasks, by extracting meaningful representations of limited amounts of measurement streams to guide short-term operational decisions.
Paper submission instruction:
Papers submitted to the special session will undergo the same standard review process as all other papers submitted to IEEE SmartGridComm 2022. If accepted, the papers will be eligible for publication in IEEE Xplore. The paper format is identical to all other papers (see Instructions for Authors). To be published in the IEEE Smart Grid Communications Conference Proceedings and to be eligible for publication in IEEE Xplore, an author of an accepted paper is required to register for the conference at the full or limited (member or non-member) rate and the paper must be presented by an author of that paper at the conference unless the TPC Co-Chairs grant permission for a substitute presenter.
- Special Session Paper Deadline:
June 10 202222 July 2022 AoE (Extended Deadline)
- Notification of Paper Acceptance:
August 12 202229 August 2022
- Camera Ready Paper Submission:
September 9 202230 September 2022
Organizer 1: Pedro H. J. Nardelli, LUT University & University of Oulu, Finland
Organizer 2: Constantinos Papadias, The American College of Greece, Greece
Organizer 3: Charalampos Kalalas, Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya (CTTC), Spain